Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Thank you all for your support!

I have recently exceeded the $4,000 goal in my fundraising efforts. I am deeply grateful that I am surrounded by such helpful and encouraging family members, friends, educators, and coaches. One of my favorite parts of this process has been getting in touch with all of you. And I hope to uphold these connections throughout the summer and afterwards. I hope that this blog helps, and I very much enjoy the old fashion process of letter writing.

In addition, we can not overlook the fact that the money is going for a really good cause. I am proud to be riding in support of Habitat for Humanity, the revival of the Gulf Coast region, as well as affordable housing in general.

Having spent three of my last four breaks gutting houses in New Orleans, I have developed a deep love for the city and surrounding region. Tearing apart houses has taught me a thing or two about the way in which houses are constructed. While I do not claim to be an qualified builder, I can thoroughly explain the layers holding up a house. However, beyond the physical structure, what makes a house a home is its inhabitants and their memories. The teary-eyed homeowners I have served tell heart-wrenching stories about the memories they attach to the belongings that volunteers are removing from what was once their home and placing in a debris pile in their street. These encounters enlightened me about the great value in which a house and more importantly, a home can have in someone’s life.

No comments: