Friday, August 3, 2007

Delilah's Theory & the Cookies Curse

When you are biking cross country, every day seems to be a challenge. And according to a friend on the trip, Delilah, it is almost as if we are secret agents battling against all kinds of currents in attempt to make it cross country. Some are more obvious -- like the huge hills and headwinds. But others, like the cookies curse, are much more subtle. When I was completing my third set of double centuries in Arizona, the weather and terrain were both gorgeous. Really we had nothing to complain about but we all were slightly sick. It was not until mile 75 on the second day when a group of us, all feeling the same way, finally figured out that gobbling down at least ten cookies at each rest spot was the real challenge of the day. Since what hungry cyclist can resist the goodness of mint kiddo's in replace for their 200th PB&J? Luckily, we no longer have so many cookies and I have succumb to supplement my now forced sandwich with a carrot or two.

Despite these obstacles, my trip has less than two weeks left. And with my legs which someone called tree trunks earlier today and a lot of excitement for San Fransisco, I think I can bike the loneliest highway in Nevada, complete a few last centuries, and make it to the Pacific Ocean!

No comments: