Thursday, June 14, 2007

Building like the Egyptians

The tables turned today. I was expected to put things together carefully and precisely as opposed to take them down. I was completely clueless about most aspects of today's work and need constant direction. And even when I insisted that we use the sledge for various tasks, I was shunned as crazy -- "no, that would break it." I briefly thought about arguing until I realized that the point is to make, not break. So, sorry Katie, the "when all else fails, use a sledge" rule must not be true in all places.

I spent the entire day on the roof or a ladder. Almost falling off only once -- which was completely my fault. The "sure, it will be fine to defy gravity for a moment and lean backwards on the already shaky ladder" logic is apparently slightly dangerous. But no worries Mom and Dad, a friend was there to grab my hand and pull the rest of my body onto the roof as someone ran to secure the ladder below me.

Today's entry name is attributed to a the man who taught me how to hammer really well (I promise, I already knew how to hammer) by making everything into a metaphor about pole vaulting, once a vaulter himself. His enthusiasm, knowledge and dedication was inspirational. And he taught my pod of three bikers who followed him around how to roof just like the Egyptians did.

Today we built; tomorrow we ride. Life is simple, and I love it.

No comments: