Monday, June 25, 2007

A More Typical Day on the Road

5 am - Wake up in order to beat the heat (On long days we push this time to 4 and on build days we "sleep in" until 6)
5:15 am - Realize that I am the last in bed and proceed with the morning routine: dress, pack up, breakfast, bike check (watch me embrace safety!), stretch, pretend I am not sore from yesterday's ride, angst over the day's ride, etc.
7:30ish am - Group meeting and cheer
7:35ish am - Take off. Will my muscles to move. Scold myself for not training more prior to the trip. Wonder why I thought biking cross country was feasible. Sarcastically thank Sam, the one who suggested this whole adventure, in my head.
10 minutes late (after my muscles have loosened a bit) - Remember that I can do this. And sincerely remember Sam and my supporters for making this summer possible
60-110 miles or ride spiced up with frequent breaks such as:
---Stretch, water, and lunch breaks
---Ferry Rides
---Any possible historical monument
---Flea Market, Dollar Store, Gas Station, etc. "shopping sprees" for random stuff and a lot of food
---Waffle House or other regional and exciting restaurants. Many of us have developed the ability to eat anything on the road despite the physical labor.
---State Signs are always exciting.
---Swimming Holes or Beaches
---Funny Billboards
---Libraries with free computer access
---Cemeteries
---Orchids
---Random, overly-talkative, generally crazy people
---Anything else distracting or exciting
4 pm (or before) - Arrive at school, community center, church, camp, or whatever residence of the evening
4:01 pm - proceed directly to the shower (I tried to do abs everyday after I ride, but that only last about 2 days. Sorry Will Freeman.)
4:20 pm - Pass out from exhaustion. Pass out is really the best word. I am becoming known on my trip for my ability to sleep well anywhere. What a great, marketable skill.
6 pm ish - Wake up. Scrounge for food.
7 pm - Dinner. Eat until I am overly full.
7:45 pm - No matter how much I eat for dinner. I am always still hungry. So I start to eat again. I think I average about 4-5 PB&J per day.
8 pm - Evening routine? I don't really have one. Read, sit around and talk, eat, sometimes go out, occasionally give an affordable housing presentation, watch movies, etc.
10 pm - Go to sleep again

No comments: