Thursday, June 21, 2007

Snakes and Gators and Road Kill ... Oh My!

3 snakes, 2 Gators, and SO MUCH road kill later, I am on my 7th day of biking. (Oh, and there was one anger, barking dog which chased me half a mile down the road one of those days.) But luckily, I am still alive and mostly functional. My quads and hams are not to eager for the 100 mile day tomorrow. But then we get the day off! I mean we get a build day which is almost relaxing in comparison with the 50-60 mile days I have been pedalling on the road.

The days switch between constant monotony and excitement depending on our location. My favorite lunch break was on the Saturday before Father's day when we stumbled on a celebration in Lake City with live animals and live music plus a couple of kiddie rides on the side. Sometimes we stop for breaks at parks or historical sites. Battle fields are a personal favorite of mine. Other times we meet people along the road like the homeless man, also biking cross country, who told a long story about his biking being stolen and a crack addict giving him a new one or the lady at the orchid who gave us a sermon right then and there.

About the basics: We stay in churches, schools, community centers, or where ever else people will take us in. (One trip, although not mine, even resided in a funeral home.) If we can not find anyone, we camp which is nice in its own right. Last night was our first camping night and the "resort" had a pool which a few of us jumped in which our jerseys, spandex, and socks still on at the end of the day. As for the roads, we have been mostly on Highway 90 which is an old, more local interstate (perhaps better put as the road less travelled by). It switches between constant trucks, traffic, etc and nowhereness where you don't see a sign, driveway, or ANYTHING for miles. And we eat lots of PB&J, donated pizza, and home cooked meals. One of the greatest things about biking all day is eating all night.

And on the note, I am off to bike home from the library, shower, and of course, begin my nightly feast.

2 comments:

Nina said...

mychuckles
Anna,
Hi from
nina and Mom in New York City (really Brroklyn). Great to be hearing about your travels - keep on pedaling! love.

Wise Jill said...

Anna
Uncle Rex left me a message, congrats on your 1st century!!!!
I need to go to meeting. I am at the International Water COnference in Toronto.
Keep up the good work. See you in Santa Fe
Package should be waiting for you in NO
Aunt Jill